What is hand therapy?
Hand therapy is the art and science of rehabilitation of the upper limb, which includes the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder girdle. It is a merging of occupational and physical therapy theory and practice that combines comprehensive knowledge of the structure of the upper limb with function and activity. Using specialized skills in assessment, planning and treatment, hand therapists provide therapeutic interventions to prevent dysfunction, restore function and/or reverse the progression of pathology of the upper limb in order to enhance an individual’s ability to execute tasks and to participate fully in life situations.
Which conditions does hand therapy treat?
Hand therapy focuses on treating orthopedic upper-extremity issues to optimize the functional use of the arm and hand. Hand therapy is used to treat several conditions surrounding the upper extremities, including but not limited to:
- Dupuytren’s Contracture
- Finger Fracture
- Finger Infection
- Fingertip and Nail Bed Injury
- Mallet Finger
- Numbness and Tingling
- Carpal Tunnel
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Sprains and Strains
- Tendon Injury
- Thumb Arthritis
- Trigger Finger
- DeQuervains Tenoynovitis
What are the benefits of hand therapy?
There are several benefits to hand therapy, including:
- Accurate assessments, immediate care and effective treatment to reduce treatment time
- A continuum of care eliminating the need for multiple medical providers
- Faster recovery results in decreased medical costs
- Functional outcomes ensuring a faster return to work and productive lifestyle
- The most comprehensive care for their patients
- Preventative, non-operative or conservative treatment
- Management of acute or chronic pain
- Desensitization following nerve injury or trauma
- Sensory re-education after nerve injury
- Design and implementation of home exercise programs to increase motion, dexterity, and/or strength
- Customized splint fabrication for prevention or correction of injury
- Training in the performance of daily life skills through adapted methods and equipment.
- Conditioning prior to returning to work
Contact Synergy Rehab & Wellness today:
If you’re ready to stop letting hand pain prevent you from living a pain-free lifestyle, request a free discovery session with one of our Staunton or Waynesboro, VA Certified Hand Therapists. Get started on the path toward living a more comfortable and functional life!